University-based learning and development prevention pilot
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Improve support and service system responses
- 16 Enable workforces to provide trauma-informed support with a focus on safety and recovery to victims and survivors of domestic, family and sexual violence.
What are we doing?
This initiative will develop and pilot a university based learning and development program for students and faculty in professional services, such as health, law, education and training. The program aims to develop knowledge and skills to prevent and respond safely to violence against women.
- The Commonwealth Government will provide $0.5 million between 2019 20 and 2021 22 to fund the university-based learning and development pilot.
What have we achieved so far?
- Initial scoping and planning activities for this activity have been finalised.
- Our Watch completed a literature review to identify the current context in universities regarding the prevention of violence against women.
- Our Watch has consulted with 28 stakeholders, including universities, students and faculties to inform the development of this initiative.
- A revised project plan was finalised in May 2020.
- An evaluation plan was delivered in December 2020.
- Through an Expression of Interest process, Our Watch has engaged two universities to participate in the project.
- The project commenced in selected universities in the first semester of 2021.
What is next?
- In partnership with selected universities, Our Watch will deliver a series of workshops throughout 2021, to build educators capacity and support the development of tailored resources for responding to, and preventing violence against women.
- An evaluation will be provided in June 2022.
What difference will we make?
The intended outcomes of this program are:
- students have improved knowledge about domestic, family and sexual violence
- students have improved skills in preventing and responding to domestic, family and sexual violence
- training and development resources are piloted and made available to universities.