Safe Places Emergency Accommodation program
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Improve support and service system responses
- 20 Improve access to suitable and safe accommodation within their communities for women who have experienced domestic, family and sexual violence.
What are we doing?
The Safe Places Emergency Accommodation program will deliver new emergency and crisis accommodation for women and children experiencing domestic and family violence. It could also fund renovations/repurposing of buildings, where it creates new emergency accommodation.
- The Commonwealth Government will provide $60 million between 2020–21 and 2021–22 to fund Safe Places.
What have we achieved so far?
- The Commonwealth Government consulted with the sector, local government, philanthropy and state and territory governments in March and August 2019 to inform the program design.
- The program design has been finalised.
What is next?
- The selection process will open in the second half of 2019.
- Ahead of the selection process opening, the Department of Social Services (DSS) will be running information sessions to help organisations develop their applications.
- Funding will be provided to successful applicants in 2020–21 to 2021–22.
What difference will we make?
The intended short-to-medium term outcomes for the Safe Places program are:
- Increase in the number of appropriate emergency accommodation to provide additional safe places for women and children experiencing domestic and family violence.
- Increase in women and children experiencing domestic and family violence housed in a safe place due to the provision of the additional emergency accommodation.
DSS will evaluate the Safe Places program to understand how well the outcomes and objectives have been achieved.