Membership of Our Watch
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Primary prevention is key
- 1 Advance gender equality and respect for women through effective primary prevention initiatives.
What are we doing?
Our Watch is the national primary prevention organisation established to drive nationwide change in the culture, behaviours and power imbalances that lead to violence against women and their children. As an Our Watch member, Tasmania is contributing to the national effort to realise the vision of an Australia where women and their children live free from all forms of violence.
- Membership of Our Watch is an action under Safe Homes, Families, Communities: Tasmania’s action plan for family and sexual violence 2019–2022 (Safe Families, Homes, Communities), which invests $26 million over three years from 2019–20 to 2021–22 to prevent and respond to family and sexual violence in Tasmania.
What is next?
Safe Homes, Families, Communities actions commenced implementation on 1 July 2019.
Key milestones for 2019–20 include:
- Ongoing membership of Our Watch
- Participation in Senior Officials and Board meetings.
What difference will we make?
Our Watch was established under the National Plan to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children 2010–2022, to drive nationwide change in the culture, behaviours and power imbalances that lead to violence against women and their children.
The Tasmanian Government became a member of Our Watch in 2015 through Safe Homes, Safe Families: Tasmania’s Family Violence Action Plan 2015–2020.
Through continuing our membership with Our Watch in Safe Homes, Families, Communities, the Tasmanian Government remains committed to changing the attitudes, behaviours, social norms and power imbalances that underpin or support violence against women and their children.