Identification of service gaps for people of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex status
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Respect, listen and respond to the diverse lived experience and knowledge of women and their children affected by violence
- 11 Deliver policies and services to address the disproportionate impact of violence on particular groups.
- Improve support and service system responses
- 19 Build the evidence base to inform responses to domestic, family and sexual violence by strengthening the focus on what works to reduce violence, improving data and supporting the Fourth Action Plan priorities.
What are we doing?
The Commonwealth Government is working to identify gaps in the coordination and capability of supports for people with diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex status affected by violence.
- holding roundtables with expert stakeholders to foster cooperation and consultation with LGBTI communities and organisations representing those communities
- working with people of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity and intersex status and LGBTI organisations to identify how family, domestic and sexual violence services can support people appropriately
- working with mainstream and specialist services in the sector to identify service gaps
- sharing findings and best practice, and developing guidance for service providers.
- The Commonwealth Government will provide funding between 2019–20 and 2021–22 to support this initiative.
What is next?
- Project scoping and an approach to market will commence in the fourth quarter of 2019
- A national roundtable will be conducted in 2020.
What difference will we make?
This initiative is intended to contribute to the long-term outcome of reducing service gaps and barriers for people of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity and intersex status accessing support for domestic, family and sexual violence.