Faster access to payments and supports
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Improve support and service system responses
- 17 Collaborate across services, sectors and workforces to ensure responses to women affected by domestic, family and sexual violence are coordinated, meet women’s needs, avoid women having to retell their story and promote their recovery.
What are we doing?
The Commonwealth Department of Human Services will explore options to provide faster access to payment and support for people affected by family and domestic violence. This includes identifying improvements to help those affected by family and domestic violence to have their Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support needs addressed in one interaction with staff.
- The Commonwealth Government will fund this initiative within existing resources.
What have we achieved so far?
A consultation process commenced in January 2019, this process has included significant research, which is still under way and includes an environmental scan to better understand issues facing people affected by family and domestic violence and how they interact, with the department. Additionally, to support this research, two exploratory sessions have been convened with staff and external service providers and key policy agencies. These sessions have identified options and opportunities to enhance the customer experience for people affected by family and domestic violence and have helped the department understand where it fits, from a community organisation perspective, into the wider family and domestic violence support network.
What is next?
- Review outcomes of exploratory work and determine next steps
- Identify and implement ‘quick wins’ that will assist customers affected by family violence
- Continue to work towards understanding the feasibility of a ‘tell us once’ functionality for customer’s interacting with the Department of Human Services.
What difference will we make?
The intended outcomes of this initiative are:
- people affected by family and domestic violence are provided with faster access to support and payments
- there is reduced need for people affected by family and domestic violence to repeat their story and re-live the trauma of the event
- people are able to access to income support payments and connections with external providers faster, with improvements to their personal and financial safety.