Evaluation of Our Watch
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Improve support and service system responses
- 19 Build the evidence base to inform responses to domestic, family and sexual violence by strengthening the focus on what works to reduce violence, improving data and supporting the Fourth Action Plan priorities.
What are we doing?
Our Watch is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established to drive nationwide change in culture, behaviours and power imbalances to prevent violence against women and their children.
Under the Fourth Action Plan, the Commonwealth Government engaged La Trobe University to undertake an evaluation of Our Watch between 2019–20 and 2021-22.
What have we achieved so far?
- La Trobe University was engaged in May 2020.
- La Trobe University established and convened an Advisory Group, consisting of a range of sector experts, to guide the project.
- La Trobe University engaged with Our Watch and consulted with stakeholders throughout 2020.
- A draft copy of the evaluation report was provided on 31 December 2021.
- The evaluation report will be finalised in March 2022, allowing time for review, copy editing, accessibility checking and final graphic design.
What does the evaluation tell us?
- Our Watch has achieved extensive influence in the development of the field of primary prevention in Australia and its evaluated programs have shown influence in changing attitudes.
- The key areas that should inform the future focus of Our Watch, to help build its skills and reach as a national centre of prevention excellence, and ensure achievement of the objectives of the next National Plan to End Violence against Women and Children 2022-2032 (the next National Plan).
What is next?
- The Commonwealth Government will closely consider the findings of the evaluation.
- The Commonwealth Government will work with Our Watch regarding future opportunities to strengthen its contribution to the primary prevention of violence against women and their children in Australia.
- Evaluation findings will inform future opportunities for Our Watch under the next National Plan.
What difference will we make?
Intended outcomes of this work are:
- Improved understanding of the contribution Our Watch makes to reducing violence against women.
- Informing the role and opportunities for Our Watch in the next National Plan.