Development of a Gender Equality Statement of Commitment
- Northern Territory
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Primary prevention is key
- 1 Advance gender equality and respect for women through effective primary prevention initiatives.
- Respect, listen and respond to the diverse lived experience and knowledge of women and their children affected by violence
- 11 Deliver policies and services to address the disproportionate impact of violence on particular groups.
What are we doing?
The Northern Territory Government has committed $29.4 million from 2018-19 to 2020-21 for initiatives under Action Plan 1: Changing Attitudes, Intervening Earlier and Responding Better (2018- 2021) of the Northern Territory’s Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence Reduction Framework 2018- 2028: Safe, respected and free from violence. This investment includes the development and implementation of a Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment.
The Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment will focus on priority areas for action which intend to be used to design tailored, relevant and sensitive approaches to address the gender-based inequalities experienced by Territorians.
What have we achieved so far?
The Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment was released in July 2020. It focuses on five key areas to improve gender equality: community engagement; health and wellbeing; safety; economic security; and leadership and participation.
The Gender Equality Statement of Commitment was developed following consultations with over 300 women, men and gender diverse people across the Northern Territory.
From May to August 2019, over 30 targeted consultations were held with peak organisations and key service providers, Northern Territory Government departments, businesses, community groups and individuals in Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, and Nhulunbuy. A public online consultation was also held through the Northern Territory Government’s ‘Have Your Say’ website and 193 written and oral submissions were received.
These consultations provided a better understanding of how gender-based inequalities affects the lives of children, women, men and gender-diverse people in the Northern Territory and helped determine the priority areas of focus for the Framework, including actions or activities to address or minimise gender-based inequalities.
What is next?
- Before the end of 2020, the Northern Territory Government will develop actions to implement the Gender Equality Statement of Commitment.
- Actions will be implemented over the next three years.
What difference will we make?
- Domestic, family and sexual violence is prevented and not tolerated.
- Development and implementation of policies that challenge rigid gender roles, gender inequality, sexism and discrimination.
- Territorians enjoy a safe and economically secure Northern Territory where gender, sexuality or background is never a barrier to full participation and inclusion.