Development of a Gender Equality Statement of Commitment
- Northern Territory
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Primary prevention is key
- 1 Advance gender equality and respect for women through effective primary prevention initiatives.
- Respect, listen and respond to the diverse lived experience and knowledge of women and their children affected by violence
- 11 Deliver policies and services to address the disproportionate impact of violence on particular groups.
What are we doing?
The Northern Territory Government has committed $6.49million from 2019-20 ongoing for initiatives under Action Plan 1: Changing Attitudes, Intervening Earlier and Responding Better (2018- 2021) of the Northern Territory’s Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence Reduction Framework 2018- 2028 Safe, respected and free from violence. This investment includes the development and implementation of a Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment and First Action Plan 2021 – 2024.
The Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment will focus on priority areas for action which intend to be used to design tailored, relevant and sensitive approaches to address the gender-based inequalities experienced by Territorians.
What have we achieved so far?
The Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment was released in July 2020. It focuses on five key areas to improve gender equality: community engagement; health and wellbeing; safety; economic security; and leadership and participation.
The Gender Equality Statement of Commitment was developed following consultations with over 300 women, men and gender diverse people across the Northern Territory.
These consultations provided a better understanding of how gender-based inequalities affects the lives of children, women, men and gender-diverse people in the Northern Territory and helped determine the priority areas of focus for the Framework, including actions or activities to address or minimise gender-based inequalities.
Consultation have now also been conducted with government and non-government organisations to develop the first Gender Equality Action Plan under the Northern Territory Gender Equality Statement of Commitment.
What is next?
- It is expected that the first Gender Equality Action Plan will be released in late 2021 and deliver actions that respond to the five key areas to improve gender equality: community engagement; health and wellbeing; safety; economic security; and leadership and participation.
- Actions will be implemented over the next three years.
What difference will we make?
- Domestic, family and sexual violence is prevented and not tolerated.
- Development and implementation of policies that challenge rigid gender roles, gender inequality, sexism and discrimination.
- Territorians enjoy a safe and economically secure Northern Territory where gender, sexuality or background is never a barrier to full participation and inclusion.