Development of a Gender Equality Framework
- Northern Territory
Fourth Action Plan actions
- Primary prevention is key
- 1 Advance gender equality and respect for women through effective primary prevention initiatives.
- Respect, listen and respond to the diverse lived experience and knowledge of women and their children affected by violence
- 11 Deliver policies and services to address the disproportionate impact of violence on particular groups.
What are we doing?
The Northern Territory Government has committed $22 million from 2018–19 to 2020–21 for initiatives under Action Plan 1: Changing Attitudes, Intervening Earlier and Responding Better 2018–2021 of the Northern Territory’s Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence Reduction Framework 2018–2028. This investment includes the development and implementation of a Northern Territory Gender Equality Framework.
The Northern Territory Gender Equality Framework will focus on priority areas for action which intend to be used to design tailored, relevant and sensitive approaches to address the gender-based inequalities experienced by Territorians.
What have we achieved so far?
From May to August 2019, over 30 targeted consultations were held with peak organisations and key service providers, Northern Territory Government departments, businesses, community groups and individuals in Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine, Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, and Nhulunbuy. A public online consultation was also held through the Northern Territory Government’s ‘Have Your Say’ website, which received 150 responses and submissions.
These consultations provided a better understanding of how gender-based inequalities affects the lives of children, women, men and gender-diverse people in the Northern Territory and helped determine the priority areas of focus for the Framework, including actions or activities to address or minimise gender-based inequalities.
What is next?
- The Gender Equality Framework will be released in 2019–20.
- Implementation of initiatives under the framework will commence in 2020.
What difference will we make?
- Domestic, family and sexual violence is prevented and not tolerated.
- Development and implementation of policies that challenge rigid gender roles, gender inequality, sexism and discrimination.